WRITER / EDITOR
Seasoned writer and editor with extensive experience reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories, features and commentary for print and Web-based media and extensive experience in project management seeks to use skills at a newspaper or news agency, or on behalf of a nonprofit or government agency.
EDITOR, CENTRAL VALLEY BUSINESS JOURNAL, Stockton, CA November 2011-Present
Planned, designed, and edited content of monthly publication covering business news in San Joaquin and Stanislaus counties of California’s Central Valley. Directed daily content updates on website and social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. Vastly improved design of printed publication and helped develop direction for online presence.
FREELANCE WRITER/EDITOR March 2009 – Present
Authored 2,700-word piece on space tourism, Spaceport America and Virgin Galactic for the May issue of DAVID Magazine; crafted talking points and numerous letters presented to the state commission on redistricting; wrote numerous opinion pieces published nationally; cataloging the library and papers of a former U.S. Congressman; fact-checked several chapters of the upcoming Road Trips USA and Moon Handbook Northern California, and wrote portion of Moon Handbook Northern California; coached several young authors.
THE RECORD, Stockton, CA June 2006 – March 2009
STAFF WRITER – Recordnet.com (February 2008 – March 2009)
Wrote and posted breaking local and wire news on The Record’s Web site using website content management system Saxotech Integrated Mediaware; processed and posted photos and fact boxes for Web posts; sent traffic and breaking news text messages to mobile phone subscribers; wrote breaking news and crime blotter for print using Harris Jazbox; and monitored and processed terms of service violations on Web site forums.
• Increased traffic to Web site by writing and aggressively posting breaking news and photos.
ASSISTANT METRO EDITOR (June 2006 – February 2008)
Supervised staff writers covering breaking news and features; edited copy and coordinated photos, graphics and online components for print and Web site; managed story budgets and scheduling of staff writers.
• Directed The Record’s monthly reader empowerment series on public safety called “An Eye on Safety.”
• Developed form for The Record to allow for more efficient story editing, story package tracking, and page flow.
THE REPORTER, Vacaville, CA April 1993 – June 2006
OPINION PAGE EDITOR (January 2003 – June 2006)
Directed content and design of daily opinion and comment pages. Directed newspaper’s major special sections and wrote a weekly column. Participated in The Reporter’s editorial board. Member of the local Police Activities League board of directors and judged several student writing contests.
• Redesigned The Reporter’s comment, opinion and Forum pages to bring readers revitalized pages. Drafted content, policy and design manual for producing Op-Ed pages.
ASSISTANT NEWS EDITOR FOR SPECIAL SECTIONS (April 1999-January 2003)
Created and headed two-person team that organized and produced the editorial and graphic content of the newspaper’s regular and special projects that covered everything from local celebrations to all-inclusive community retrospectives. Edited and designed the weekly auto section and the Op-Ed pages. Wrote a weekly column.
• Developed The Reporter’s Special Sections Department to improve the overall presentation of the newspaper’s special sections. Resulting awards from the California Newspaper Publishers Association, California Newspaper Advertising Executive Association, Associated Press News Executives Council, and other groups. Also increased ad revenue via special sections.
COPY EDITOR (August 1996 – April 1999)
Designed and edited local and wire pages, and edited the front page. Edited weekly auto section and Op-Ed pages. Wrote a weekly column.
STAFF WRITER (April 1993 – August 1996)
Served as general assignment reporter covering crime, the police and fire departments, and two state prisons in Vacaville. Traveled to Africa, Europe and Haiti to cover humanitarian efforts involving Travis Air Force Base personnel.
THE DAILY DEMOCRAT, Woodland, CA August 1990 – April 1993
THE DAILY JOURNAL, Ukiah, CA October 1988 – August 1990
THE MENDOCINO BEACON, Mendocino, CA February 1988 – October 1988
Bachelor’s Degree in Information and Communications Studies – Journalism (1988) California State University, Chico, CA
• California Newspaper Publishers Association’s Best Newspaper Contest, second place for editorial pages (10,001 – 25,000 circ.) 2003.
• California Newspaper Publishers Association’s Best Newspaper Contest, second place for special sections as project editor (10,001 – 25,000 circ.) 2001.
• California Newspaper Publishers Association’s Best Newspaper Contest, first place for special sections as project editor (10,001 – 25,000 circ.), 2000.
• California Newspaper Publishers Association’s, first place for spot news (10,001-25,000 circ.), 1996.
• Associated Press News Executive Council of California and Nevada, second place for spot news (less than 25,000 circ.), 1995.
• California Intercollegiate Press Association, first place for spot news, 1987.